Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Importance of Decision Making




How important are decisions?  We make hundreds of them on a daily basis.  What clothes we are going to wear today, what we will eat for breakfast, which petrol station we will fill up at.  Seemingly inconsequential decisions that all add up to what's called our LIFE.

Small decisions are easy unless you are an indecisive person.  But what about the bigger things in life we must decide on.  Where we will live, what job we will do, if we will be an employee or a business owner?  Big decisions that will have a massive impact on your life.

Many questions may come to mind: Is making the right decision important?  How do you make a tough decision?  Can you just go with the flow and let what is going to happen, happen?  Let's have a look at a couple of these.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO MAKE A DECISION?

The word 'decision' comes from the Latin word dēcīdere meaning to cut off.  So, to decide means to cut off all other possibilities.  You decide on just one course of action, or one of several options.  But cutting off every other possible choice you are mentally focusing right down on the single thing that is of most importance to you.  Once you have chosen, keep your focus on that decision and back it up with actions and really go for it.

IS IT IMPORTANT TO MAKE THE 'RIGHT' DECISION?

Right or wrong in this context is just perception.  Who says that the choice is right or wrong?  If something doesn't go the way you thought with that decision, or it doesn't pan out quite as you expected, does that mean it was the wrong decision?  Not necessarily.  John Lennon once said: "Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end".  In life and as an entrepreneur and a business owner I have learned that sometimes what may have seemed to have been a wrong decision can either be turned around to your advantage and you can make it the right decision, or what you think was a bad decision actually turns out better than you could have imagined.  There are going to be times when you need to modify and course-correct, but making something that seemed to be going wrong turn around into a positive can be very empowering. Remember - if it's not ok, then it's not the end!

BEWARE OF HAVING A WAIT AND SEE ATTITUDE!

How often do you find yourself saying 'Oh let's just wait and see what happens and if we can do that thing or not'.  This is dangerous talk, because you have chosen not to make a decision.  And do you know what 'happen's when you wait and 'see what happens'?  Absolutely nothing!  Saying 'Let's wait and see' is pretty much the same as saying I don't really want it so I'm just putting it off long enough until things happen that I can blame was why we didn't do it.  How do I know this? I've been guilty of doing this many times in my life.  And I can tell you that every single time waiting to see what happens will guarantee that you won't achieve what you want.

STOP ACCEPTING YOUR OWN EXCUSES FOR WHY YOU HAVEN'T GOT RESULTS.

I have experiences both lack of really making a decision, buying into my own excuses and not getting results, and on the other hand I've set goals, decided what I really really wanted, and I've absolutely gone for it and achieved it.  In retrospect I've looked at my mindset on both scenario's and although taking action is absolutely key to success and getting results I can tell you that the reason I didn't take action when I was buying my own excuses was that I hadn't truly decided - I hadn't cut off all other possibilities - I was waiting to see what happened.  And on the other hand, when I did decide, because it was something I wanted so badly, there was nothing going to stop me until I achieved what I set out to.  Decisions lead to action which leads to results.

SUMMARY AND NEXT STEPS

1. Stop accepting your own excuses and don't succumb to the wait and see attitude - it guarantee's failure before you even begin.
2. Don't spend too long in the decision making process.  Spend just long enough to figure out if it is what you truly want.  Work out the how's later.  The important thing FIRST is to make the decision and move on to the next step.
3. Get clear on WHY you want this result, outcome or thing.  If it isn't something you are passionate about, then why are you doing it?  Write your end goal down and spend time each day keeping that fresh in your mind.
4. Make a plan of Action and implement something quickly and immediately - even if it's a small step.  Inaction and procrastination are dream-stealers, so don't let them creep in.  You don't have to see how the whole plan will play out, just take the first step, and then the next, and the next.
5. Track your progress as you go and celebrate each and every little win.  A win can be as simple as you making a phone call, or going to the shop to visualise something you want to buy.
6. Absolutely go for it - You deserve to make powerful decisions and achieve your goals.

Don't let anything or anyone stop you from becoming a powerful decision maker and goal achiever!

Wishing you every success,

Susan Dorrington
Leadership Entrepreneur
www.nolimitsbiz.com.au














No comments:

Post a Comment